Home Forums EBP & Related Research Findings Repeating Treatment

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous December 04 , 2014.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF |  
  • MarkCarey
    MarkCarey
    Participant

Recently I got the following question from a practitioner in Wisconsin regarding whether offenders should repeat treatment. Below is my response. If anyone else has some additional information please share your thoughts.

Question: We are in the process of training 4 Core. This week, we had a question come up and we weren’t sure how to answer it. The question is, how many times do we / should we send offenders back to repeat treatment? Say they did Thinking for a Change, complete successfully, but then had more issues / violations later on. Should we send them back to the same treatment? I realize it may be better to send them to a different program, but most of the time that is not an option. Is there any research in this area? Thank you!

Answer: Good question. I am not aware of any research on this that is that specific. There may be, I just haven’t seen it. On the other hand, research has pointed out that it takes a number of relapses before change usually sticks. Personally, I don’t think there is anything wrong with repeating an intervention if you, in your professional judgment, think that he/she would benefit from it. Often, people learn more the second time through as they are less anxious and have some foundation from which to apply the material on the second go-around.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.