This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bspanjers February 03 , 2017.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF |  

• bspanjers
    Participant

This explanation is excellent.  I am not community corrections.  I work in Justice Support Services supervising treatment court and bond/sentenced staff.  I took the coding training and received the tool which of course does take in the SPIRIT and the Behavior Codes.

dschantz
    Participant

QA regarding MI can be quite complex, so this is a great question!  I would like to break it into a few areas.  The first question I like to explore is, what are you seeking to measure, i.e., officer proficiency, client response, alignment with criminogenic needs?  Traditional coding focuses on defining officer “utterances” with core MI skills (OARS) or for some, more complex issues as can be found in the Manual for Motivational Interviewing Skill Code (MISC) Version 2.1.  What I believe is important and too often overlooked, is assessing the components of the Spirit of MI (PACE).  Without a foundation here, the use of core skills often miss the mark and their full potential.  Creating a sequential coding sheet that includes both of these critical pieces is helpful in not only assessing engagement/professisonal alliance, proficiency of core skills but also deconstructing the conversation to assist in enhancement of skills. Additional considerations may include are officers focusing on criminogenic needs and matching their use of MI with case plans?  The final component I would suggest considering is what is the offender’s impression?   Some departments have created exit/discharge evaluations for the offender to complete that asks questions related to rapport/professional alliance/spirit of MI.  So in true MI fashion, I believe I may be leaving you with more questions, rather than answers.  Finding what fits for your setting is key!

bspanjers
    Participant

The MI trainers provided a format to code.  If you are trained in coding you would have this document.  You might want to contact your trainer for more information on the new coding.

evanhazelton
    Participant

I am a new QA Manager with Community Corrections and am wondering what instruments others have been using to assess Motivational Interviewing skills?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.