Home Forums EBP Planning & Implementation Circles of Accountability and Support for non-sex offenders

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by drwilsonrj drwilsonrj December 23 , 2015.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF |  
  • drwilsonrj
    drwilsonrj
    Participant

Also, for information purposes, the CoSA-recovery link provided in Alexandra’s post is related to something entirely different from what I’m talking about.

In Colorado, the actual CoSA site is http://cocosa.org/.

RJW

drwilsonrj
    drwilsonrj
    Participant

I have considerable experience with CoSA, having been involved in the processes that led to the original project in South-Central Ontario in Canada. My website http://www.robinjwilson.com has a tab specifically for CoSA.

As to its use with other populations, I am currently collaborating with Kathy Fox from Vermont on a research evaluation of their CoSA projects,which also include violent and general offenders. Preliminary results suggest that the effects are comparable.

There are CoSA projects all across Canada, throughout the UK, in several EU jurisdictions, in NZ, and there are also approximately 8 projects in the USA. I work as a consultant and trainer to CoSA projects worldwide.

Let me know if you have questions,

Robin.

AlexandraWalker
    AlexandraWalker
    Participant

Thank you Erin – I appreciate that you looked into this and look forward to hearing what they have to say!

erinking
    erinking
    Participant

Hi Alexandra,

Thank you for your question. I have reached out to two different sources to get further information for you on Circles of Support for non-SO populations. I did hear back from one source who asked if they could send a response in a few weeks as they are under a tight deadline. I just wanted you to know that The Carey Group is aware of agencies using this model with non-SO offenders and are working on getting you a reply.

Thanks again!

Erin King, Senior Associate, The Carey Group

AlexandraWalker
    AlexandraWalker
    Participant

Greetings all,

I hope this finds you well. Thank you for the opportunity to collaborate with others in an open forum setting. What a valuable resource!

I have been reading through the research on Circles of Accountability and Support (CoSA) and it seems clear that this model works well with the sex offender population. If you aren’t familiar with CoSA, the following website has some good information http://www.cosa-recovery.org/states/Colorado.html.

As we look to enhance our programming and think about how to include the community in what we are doing, I am wondering why we wouldn’t replicate this model with other types of clients. While we don’t take SOs at our facilities, our clients struggle with building positive, lasting relationship in the community. They often don’t know where to start and don’t trust that community members will accept them if they are honest.

Has anyone implemented a CoSA type group with non-SOs? If so, how did it go? I am curious about how to go about recruiting interested community members and what type of training and support to provide for them. Also, I would like to be tracking outcome measures from the outset and while the research provides some guidance here, I would imagine that CoSA for non-SOs would look different.

Any thoughts/advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!
    Alexandra

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.